A quick guide to Partner Visas
Partner Visa help for all relationships: Whether you are married, engaged, de facto or a same sex couple, we can help you with your visa application as we are Partner Visa specialists.
You may be able to obtain a partner visa to keep the one you love in Australia if you can evidence one of the following relationships:
- De facto relationship for a period of least 12 months, or, formal registration of your de facto relationship
- Prospective marriage visa – This visa allows entry to Australia with full work rights. It is a temporary visa granted for 9 months during which time you will be be married in order to then submit the onshore 820/801 visa.
- Partners of New Zealand Citizens living in Australia. As the partner of a New Zealand Citizen living in Australia, you may be eligible to apply for a temporary 5-year partner visa.
Partner Visa Requirements
If your application is based on a marriage:
- you must be legally married to an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
If your application is based on a de facto relationship:
- you must have been in a de facto relationship with an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen for at least 12 months prior to lodging your application (unless there are compelling or compassionate circumstances)
- you and your partner must both be at least 18 years old (and must not be related)
Partner Visa Sponsors
The sponsor is the person in the relationship who is eligible to sponsor the non-Australian and must;
- be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
- not have previously sponsored more than one other fiancé, partner or spouse for migration to Australia, and not have sponsored anyone within the last 5 years (unless there are compelling circumstances)
- not have been sponsored for a Spouse, Partner or Prospective Marriage Visa by someone else within the last 5 years (unless there are compelling circumstances)
This is a very brief overview of a complex visa application. If you would like partner visa help from an experienced Registered Migration Agent, don’t hesitate to contact us for more information.